For a thousand years in Asia cuisine, rice has been considered as the main food in Thai, Chinese and Japanese dishes. In fact, rice is one of the widely consumed food in the world. Do you think it is easy to cook rice? Well, my friend, it is a tricky and challenging one.
I don’t know about you, but I literally struggled for months to make a bowl of perfect rice. This is because the grain requires perfect consistency while cooking. There was a time, rice was cooked on the stoves, and it was a quite tough one to bring out the perfect rice, especially for a new cook.
Rice cooker buying guide
Thanks to modern technology, rice cooking is now easy with a rice cooker. To get the rice cooked fast and perfect, a rice cooker is a perfect choice. For new users, this rice cooker buying guide will be a helpful one. So let’s start cooking.
Is A Rice Cooker Worth Buying?
If you are a rice lover, then you have to add a rice cooker in your kitchen. Though rice cooking can be done without a rice cooker but to get cooking fast and easy, the rice cooker is an essential one. What benefits you will get with a rice cooker:
- In spite of knowing the cooking process, for some a perfectly cooked rice is difficult to get. With a rice cooker, you will get perfect rice. You will not have a bowl of watery or mushy rice to eat.
- When you are cooking rice in a pan, it is a high chance to face spillover because of high heat. You will not face this with a rice cooker.
- As it is automatic, you have just to start the machine and do other works. When the rice is cooked, it will go off automatically. It is not possible with a gas stove.
- You will get a rice cooker at an affordable price.
Notes: if you want to know more benefits about the rice cooker, check the next article about the benefits of the rice cooker. It has details information.
Different Types Of Rice Cooker
To make your rice cooking experience more enjoyable, there are types of rice cookers in the market. You will be stunned with the looks and features of them. Let’s talk about them:
Conventional Rice Cooker
This type of rice cooker is the basic one and popular among the users. It is simple to use – just add your rice and water, press button and wait till the rice is cooked. This rice cooker is affordable and easy to use. You will not have to wait long to get rice if you use this rice cooker.
Smart Rice Cooker
Thanks to technology, the smart rice cooker makes the wrong measurement right by adjusting the heat. Even you give less water to cook rice; the fuzzy technology will make out perfect rice from it. But you have to make a high budget to get this rice cooker.
Combo Rice Cooker
Some rice cookers allow different cooking besides rice. The popular combination is steamer and rice cooker. You can also use this rice cooker as a pressure cooker and a slow cooker.
How to Choose The Correct Rice Cooker for You?
Now to get the right rice cooker for your kitchen, you have to consider some different factors. Rice cooker is a convenient cooking appliance that is the best option for students and bachelors. The factors you need to consider before getting the rice cooker is:
You have to know the amount of rice you need to cook with the rice cooker. Pick the rice cooker capacity depending on the family size. If you have a family of 5-6 members, then a 3 to 5-litre rice cooker is perfect for you. And you have to consider the space in your kitchen to keep the rice cooker. Though the rice cooker doesn’t take so much space, you have to consider the size of your kitchen top is out of space.
Easy to use
A perfect kitchen appliance means easy to operate. The basic rice cooker allows an easy operate with one-touch operation. All you have to do is to add rice and water in proper quantity and push the cook button. The smart ones come with different options to cook different dishes.
The rice cookers come with digital control features. Pick the cooker that has a delay start feature. This helps to start and finish the cooking time in a specific time.
There are two different cooking mechanism in the rice cooker. They are heat induction and thermal cooking. Among them, heat induction is the best option to cook perfect rice. Pick the cooker that has an automatic warm function. This ensures fresh and hot food whenever you want.
You have to get the appliance that is able to serve you for long years. Because you need to cook rice every day and it is not easy to replace an appliance frequently. Pick the rice cooker that comes with durable materials.
The rice cooker comes with different lids. Get the rice cooker that has sealed lids. The tight lid allows the steam stays in the pot to cook the rice in time and stay warm.
Notes: To get a rice cooker with stainless steel, check the next article about the best rice cooker with a stainless steel inner pot.
How to Use a Rice Cooker?
A rice cooker is now an essential kitchen appliance for every kitchen. We are just too busy to make time for cooking properly. But with your rice cooker, cooking life will gets easy. After a long tiring day, getting hot and perfect cooked rice on your plate makes you happy and full. To get the rice perfectly cooked with a rice cooker, here is how you use the rice cooker:
- While putting the rice in the pot, use the measuring cup to measure the rice amount.
- To remove the starch, wash the rice with cold water .
- Take the rice in the rice cooker bowl and add water. Make sure to measure the water with the measuring cup.
- After adding the water and rice, keep the bowl in the rice cooker and close the lid tightly. After closing the cookware lid, turn the power on.
- Leave the rice to cook. Don’t open the cooker lid to check the rice. It will cook perfectly. After cooking is finished, let the keep warm function work until you take out the rice bowl.
Safety and Maintenance Tips for Rice Cooker
As the rice cooker works with electricity, heat and water, safety and maintenance tips are required:
- If you are a new user, then follow the instruction properly.
- Do not touch the hot surface in bare hands
- Place the rice cooker in a flat and stable surface.
- Unplug the rice cooker after the use.
- Keep the rice cooker clean after every use
- Wash the bowl with warm soap water
- Don’t scratch the non-stick surface.
- Ensure the bowl is dry before use.
Frequently asked questions
- Is cooking rice in a rice cooker healthy?
Yes, the rice you cook in a rice cooker provides healthy nutrients.
- Does rice taste better in a rice cooker?
There is not much difference in the taste between the cooked rice on the stove and the cooked rice with a rice cooker.
- Will rice cooker turn off automatically?
Yes, after water absorbed by the rice, the temperature rises up to 212 degrees. Then the rice cooker automatically shut down.
Those who love rice in every meal have to own a rice cooker must. Because it is not possible to check the rice cooking procedure on the stove every time. Buy a rice cooker, add the proper amount of rice and water and finished. Your rice is ready to eat. Check this rice cooker buying guide to get the right rice cooker for your kitchen.