Barley is a nutritious grain. You will find various types of vitamins, fiber, and minerals in the whole barley. Cooking foods with barley would be beneficial for us. Barley is not the only grain that makes the food tasty but provides many important elements to our body. To get the nutritious elements you have to cook barley properly. There are many ways to cook barley. You can cook it on a regular saucepan, stove, instant pot, pressure cooker, or rice cooker. To cook barley in a rice cooker then you need to learn about how to cook barley in a rice cooker.
However, it’s not a big matter to think about. You can cook barley in a rice cooker easily. You need to follow some steps to do so. In this article, you will find the proper guidance on this topic. Keep reading this article to cook barley in a rice cooker.
Can You Use A Rice Cooker To Cook Barley?
Yes, you can cook barley in a rice cooker or pressure cooker easily. There are various kinds of barley you will find in the market. These are the pearled barley, pot barley, and hull-less barley. You can cook barley to different kinds of cookware. And different cookware has a different cooking method. Pearl barley is the suitable one to cook on a rice cooker. The Rice cooker takes 15mints to cook barley while the stove takes 25-30 mint. Zojirushi NS-TSC10 is the best rice cooker to cook barley perfectly. Also, Stainless Steel Cookware is suitable to cook any kind of food item like grains.
To cook barley in a rice cooker, you will need some ingredients. Those ingredients will help you get a good taste of the barley and also will cook it perfectly. Use the ingredients below for cooking barley properly and getting the delicious flavor:
- 1 cup of pearl barley
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oil. Virgin olive oil is excellent, but any oil will do depending on use. If you don’t like to use oil, you can use butter for more flavor and taste.
How To Cook Barley In A Rice Cooker
Every cookware has its type of cooking method. Rice has its own too. Rice cookers are widely known as pressure cookers too. There are some easy steps to cook barley in a rice cooker or pressure cooker. If you didn’t cook barley in a rice cooker before, you need to know how to cook barley in a rice cooker. Follow the steps below properly to cook barley in a rice cooker:
- First, take a quality rice cooker for cooking barley and clean the bowl with hot water.
- Now, wash the barley for a few minutes in clean water.
- Put the barley, add a pinch of salt into the rice cooker with 2cups of water or chicken stock and 1tsp butter or oil. Adding oil or butter will give a chewy texture to the food.
- Turn on the rice cooker and go to settings to set the timer to cook barley. There are various types of cooking for different rice dishes you will see on a rice cooker. If your rice cooker doesn’t have grain settings, press the brown rice bottom to start the cooking process.
- You can take a little nap now. It will take 15 mint to cook the barley. You don’t need to check it repeatedly because the cooker will turn off automatically after cooking.
- If the rice cooker starts beeping, that means your barley is ready. Open the rice cooker, and you will get the smell of perfect cooked barley.
- Put the barley on a plate and let it cool for a minute. Now serve it with what you like to eat.
Tips And Tricks For Cooking Barley In A Rice Cooker:
There are also a few more tips for you to cook the best barley:
- Always use 1tsp of butter, ghee, or any kind of cooking oil. The barley will remain smooth because of these oily ingredients. Also, it helps to cook any sticky cookware.
- Don’t forget to add salt to the barley before cooking.
- After cooking the barley, you need to let it steam for 10 minutes. This will make the grain softer without water-logging.
- Use a fork to fluff the cooked barley before presenting it to the dining table. This will let the grains separate further and make them soft to eat.
- For more flavor, you should add chicken stock. Cooking barley with normal won’t provide extra flavor.
What Can I Make With Barley?
There are a lot more items that you can cook with barley. Barley gives extra taste to the food and allows you to get the benefits and other nutritious elements. You can add barley to your favorite recipes to get a fantastic taste. Let’s see what other items you can make with barley:
You can cook soup with barley. In soup and stew, you will find a beautiful texture if you make it with barley.
Salads with barley are a very popular dish around the world. Cook barley into the salted hot water and let it cool. Then add them to the salad and make the salad more healthy.
Rice cookers are nowadays very widely usable cookware. People find it easy to cook different kinds of food items with this electric device. People are not aware of the benefits of barley. You will get lots of quality benefits from barley. Barley helps to reduce heart diseases. Advanced features of a rice cooker give us an excellent cooking experience. You can also cook barley in a rice cooker. It is very easy to cook barley in a rice cooker.
But if you didn’t cook before in a rice cooker, then you need to learn basic knowledge about how to cook barley in a rice cooker. But this article has all the necessary information and step-by-step guidance for you. You can cook more food items barley. Also, the article gives the ideal details on cooking rice too because both cooking methods are related to each other. All you have to do is to follow the steps above from this article. You can cook barley perfectly if you follow the steps correctly.